We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Quick Look: Spectre Time Frostbite

Watch and watch accessory reviews written and posted by MoT staff members.
MoT
Site Admin

Quick Look: Spectre Time Frostbite

Post by MoT »

Earlier this year Spectre Time announced a new Kickstarter project, Frostbite. This would be the second model for the small, Singapore based brand.

In April, the Kickstarter was canceled so Gulshan, the owner of Spectre Time could make some changes and improvements to the prototype. The project will be relaunched soon and you can follow it at this link.

A couple of weeks ago I was fortunate to receive one of the pre-improvement prototypes. Even without the changes Gulshan wants to make, it is a solid piece straight out of the box. The dial plays with the light quite nicely, and I like the Bond movie-style classic opening sequence rifling. Fitting for a brand with Spectre in the name.

Frostbite has a unique, crab-like case design. Particularly eye-catching are the machined out indentations on the case sides and the lugs. They help to give some extra visual and definitely tactile appeal to the watch. A signed, screw-down crown at the classic 4:00 position (NH35A automatic movement) operates well.

Bezel action is accurate, very ratchety (which I like), and stiff, but not so much to make it unusable. Gulshan said the bezel tension will be adjusted.

Lume is impressive. Bright, legible, and well applied. Lume on the production model should be even better as Gulshan stated they will be going with a brighter material. I look forward to seeing how it compares!

The strap is custom-molded for Spectre Time, and is fitted to the case with quick-release spring bars. It is soft and pliable but does pick up some lint. It was also a bit too short for this reviewer, but that is not a knock at Spectre, and they mentioned it will be longer on the production pieces.

Below are the changes Gulshan and Spectre Time plan to make to the production model:
  • Case finishing, in particular the cut-outs and lug edges.
  • Update caseback artwork to that seen on Kickstarter.
  • Lume to be brighter and more consistent.
  • Frost white texture (dots) on bezel insert to be removed as it makes it look dirty.
  • Improved packaging/presentation box.
Thanks for reading, and be sure to check out Frostbite on it's Kickstarter relaunch soon!
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Re: Quick Look: Spectre Time Frostbite

Post by watchpalooza »

Great review! Really like the two-tone lume, and that dial... Hands are a bit chunky, but still a beautiful piece.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

watchpalooza wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:20 pm Great review! Really like the two-tone lume, and that dial... Hands are a bit chunky, but still a beautiful piece.
The two-tone lume surprised me when I saw it, and in a good way.

Yup, the hands are chonky, but I feel like they are a good fit.

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
diecycling

Post by diecycling »

Reading the Kickstarter comments, Spectre TIme confirms that "Frostbite" won't be underlined on the production version. Awesome news because that was my only issue with the watch. :)
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Spectre Time has started production on Frostbite, and instead of doing a Kickstarter, is selling it direct.

For a limited time, Frostbite can be purchased for $296.19, down from the regular price of $391.72.

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Loving this one.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr