Heads Up! I Saw A Bargain Here! 2020

Find the HUISABH "big thread of deals" here! Also, other watch and watch accessory deal threads.
jcombs1
MoT Member

Re: Heads Up! I Saw A Bargain Here! 2020

Post by jcombs1 »

I’m going to wait for the Marathon Steel Navigator version to be released before deciding. Hopefully it’s out soon. The Benrus is overpriced at ~$1500, IMO.
BillionaireDoors
MoT Member

Post by BillionaireDoors »

New high-end watch sale on ToM. Looks like some good prices relatively speaking.

https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales/thrilling-horology
Dius
MoT Member

Post by Dius »

I swear helm matches CW on how hard it is to get watches when they're on sale. New stock of their Vanuatu sold out in under 3 mins.
Watch your Wristwatch
MoT Member

Post by Watch your Wristwatch »

Not a bad deal on this Blue Angels Nighthawk at Helzberg Diamonds for $174.00. Use code WELCOME25 for $25 off your order. Some others on there but not priced as well as this.
https://www.helzberg.com/citizen-mens-p ... 02b35e.jpg[/IMG]Image

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

This PVD diver on a bracelet from MWC (NH35 inside) is down to $257 to make room for the 2021 model. Regular price is $393.

https://mwcwatches.com/collections/hand ... d-bracelet

I wish that watch were 38mm?
flypanam
MoT Member

Post by flypanam »

Mido Baroncelli Chronometer is a daily deal at Jomashop for $399, retails for $1330. Not a bad price for a chronometer watch.

Scruffy believes in this forum
nicegator
MoT Member

Post by nicegator »

I hadn't seen tritium in Vostok Europe before.
https://drop.com/buy/vostok-europe-gaz- ... 3921705062
Attachments
Screenshot_20201113-100739.png
Screenshot_20201113-100227.png
Screenshot_20201113-100338.png
Screenshot_20201113-100406.png
Screenshot_20201113-100417.png
Conchita Turtle
MoT Member

Post by Conchita Turtle »

After seeing the very tasty and beautiful [mention]Rainshadow[/mention] Milus, and being a clock that tells a small but interesting story, I'm even thinking of buying it. They have an offer right now in Joma.

https://www.jomashop.com/milus-snow-sta ... it001.html

Photo of a 50s "U.S. NAVY LIFE BARTER KIT", with a Milus Instant Date watch.
flypanam
MoT Member

Post by flypanam »

Speaking of drop, they also have an Orient Sun & Moon with black or white dial for $219. Pricing for the Sun & Moon models is really variable, but for this particular version / generation this is an okay price, slightly lower than I can find otherwise. Retail is $535 per Drop.

But - in the process of checking around for prices, I did find one of the old school Sun & Moons at Jomashop for $160 - $10 with coupon = $150. I really like the depth of this one's dial, versus the flatter newer versions... Retail $420.

flypanam
MoT Member

Post by flypanam »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
BruceR
MoT Member

Post by BruceR »

Conchita Turtle wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:16 am After seeing the very tasty and beautiful @Rainshadow Milus, and being a clock that tells a small but interesting story, I'm even thinking of buying it. They have an offer right now in Joma.

https://www.jomashop.com/milus-snow-sta ... it001.html

Photo of a 50s "U.S. NAVY LIFE BARTER KIT", with a Milus Instant Date watch.
In the description is says: Papers--No, Box--No, But the pic shows a very nice box with compass cufflinks (something I would never wear but they're cool nonetheless).
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Off Topic
Anyone have issues with Jomashop links or just me?
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
flypanam
MoT Member

Post by flypanam »

TheJohnP wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:05 am
Off Topic
yes I just get routed to the main page
BruceR
MoT Member

Post by BruceR »

flypanam wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:06 am
TheJohnP wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:05 am
Off Topic
yes I just get routed to the main page
If you click on the scroll button you'll go to the correct place (I learned that here).
Conchita Turtle
MoT Member

Post by Conchita Turtle »

BruceR wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:53 am In the description is says: Papers--No, Box--No, But the pic shows a very nice box with compass cufflinks (something I would never wear but they're cool nonetheless).
In addition to its beauty, part of the history of the watch is that it was included in the "life barter kits", a set of goods that could be given to locals to help American soldiers in danger in hostile territory, of which I have put a picture in my previous message. This case pays homage to those "life barter kits".

http://wartimecollectables.com/escape-- ... r-kit.html
In 1942, during World War II, US Navy pilots, and paratroopers, were given something called Life Barter kits (LB kits for short). Each kit was designed to enable the soldier to manage behind enemy lines by providing him with small valuables with which he could barter for food, information—or even his very life.

It wasn’t until 2010, Swiss watch company Milus recently discovered that its own 1940s vintage watches had been part of these LB kits during World War II.

The discovery happened quite unexpectedly. “I got a call in 2010 from a collector of military artifacts who asked me if I was aware that there was a Milus watch inside some Life Barter kits he had recently acquired,” remembers Milus USA’s president and CEO Doron Basha. “I had never heard this term, but I began to learn about the kits, and then quickly purchased the two kits in his possession and requested his help in finding others.” Basha’s efforts to recapture a previously unknown part of his brand’s history were successful.

Conducting an exhaustive worldwide search, the collector located one more kit, for a total of three. Remarkably, each of the old Milus watches was still in working condition—after 70 years. “We are not sure how many Milus watches were used by the US Navy since the company archives were destroyed in a fire in the 1950s,” Basha continues. “What we could piece together from conversations with various members of the Junod family, which owned the company until 2002, is that the Navy most likely purchased 50 or so Milus Snow Star “Instant Date” watches directly from one of the brand’s authorized dealers in the US. The intended use by the Navy was confidential and was never disclosed at the time.
Soldiers also used to carry a "blood chit" to ask for aid and shelter in case of need, where they were not hostile to the local population, and where it was commented that the help would be rewarded.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_chit