Heads Up! I Saw A Bargain Here! 2021

Find the HUISABH "big thread of deals" here! Also, other watch and watch accessory deal threads.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Heads Up! I Saw A Bargain Here! 2021

Post by TheJohnP »

Amazon Warehouse has this Laco Type B flieger with their Laco 24 movement (based on an elaboré ETA 2824.2)

Laco Pilot Watch Original Paderborn 42mm, model # 861749

Sale price is $637.95
List price is $1,190
Condition is - Used - Very Good / Minor scratch on wrist strap. Item is in original, pristine packaging.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B006TXBPII

Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

First time I've seen this discount code before, Shopworn has a CEO Pick of the Month with $201 off using code CEOPICK

Eberhard & Co Tazio Nuvolari Automatic, model # 41032.01
Sale price is $650
With code CEOPICK is $449
List price is $2,750

https://www.shopworn.com/shop/eberhard- ... h-4103201/

Click Icon To Contact Me

uaconcorde
MoT Member

Post by uaconcorde »

chefo wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:41 pm
skylinegtr_34 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:25 pm NAD. Every Alpina (i have many) I received from OWD is probaly brand new. They even have clear palastics on them. There is just a white label out of the box says refurbished. That is it.

Citizen's are different story, they come in generic (like Victorinox boxes of tjmaxx) boxes. I received only one citizen with a very small mark rest are again look brand new but packing-wrapping is minimal.
I agree; the Alpinas and FCs are probably new. I spoke with the local AD--they've had several 60%+ off sales recently. I've bought half-a-dozen FCs and a couple of Alpinas. During the last sale, my rep told me they were losing money on each watch they sold, but because they had closed off most Citizen stores for over six months and the large network of brick-and-mortar retailers like Macy's and Jared's had done likewise (and are not buying as much new inventory), they had a lot of Swiss inventory collecting dust so they made the conscious choice to dump it all and sell it as quickly as they can. This Ebay account used to be all Bulovas and Citizens for some time. Their pricing is remarkably similar to ADs that are on a good sale, so probably just another Citizen corporate outlet. They seem to be rotating through different channels until they run out and then they have nothing for sale for quite a while. Rinse and repeat.

IMO, that's the only thing keeping their prices on the secondary market as low as they are. FCs and Alpinas are a good value at MSRP for what they are. At 60% off from an authorized outlet--they are the best values for affordable Swiss autos hands down.

P.S. The big difference is that if you buy a limited edition on EBay, or any of the high-end watches, they come with generic boxes and not the LE package with the boats, cars, special wooden boxes with storage, etc. Same goes for these brands when you buy them from grey dealers, which have not had decent pricing on these for awhile now. Which tells me, Citizen (or some of their large clients) was probably dumping these to the usual grey suspects before deciding they'd rather sell directly to the end-customer. 'Refurbished' in a generic box seems to be just a way to sell down inventory without getting in trouble with retailer contracts.

P.S.2 I watched an interview with the founder of FC on Youtube--these guys had the worst luck (good for us, I guess). Citizen wanted them to increase production substantially in order to start selling in the North American Citizen distribution network, so they built a new facility that just went online in 2019 to double production. Very unlucky timing for them--but it helps explain some of the what's been going on, at least to me.
Do I dare suggesting..... all the trouble selling them is actually just because they are too big, half of this forum can't wear them even if we wanted to?

I mean I can always pick up a world timer, but at 44mm? no.....
Rixsler86
MoT Member

Post by Rixsler86 »

uaconcorde wrote:
skylinegtr_34 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:25 pm NAD. Every Alpina (i have many) I received from OWD is probaly brand new. They even have clear palastics on them. There is just a white label out of the box says refurbished. That is it.

Citizen's are different story, they come in generic (like Victorinox boxes of tjmaxx) boxes. I received only one citizen with a very small mark rest are again look brand new but packing-wrapping is minimal.
I agree; the Alpinas and FCs are probably new. I spoke with the local AD--they've had several 60%+ off sales recently. I've bought half-a-dozen FCs and a couple of Alpinas. During the last sale, my rep told me they were losing money on each watch they sold, but because they had closed off most Citizen stores for over six months and the large network of brick-and-mortar retailers like Macy's and Jared's had done likewise (and are not buying as much new inventory), they had a lot of Swiss inventory collecting dust so they made the conscious choice to dump it all and sell it as quickly as they can. This Ebay account used to be all Bulovas and Citizens for some time. Their pricing is remarkably similar to ADs that are on a good sale, so probably just another Citizen corporate outlet. They seem to be rotating through different channels until they run out and then they have nothing for sale for quite a while. Rinse and repeat.

IMO, that's the only thing keeping their prices on the secondary market as low as they are. FCs and Alpinas are a good value at MSRP for what they are. At 60% off from an authorized outlet--they are the best values for affordable Swiss autos hands down.

P.S. The big difference is that if you buy a limited edition on EBay, or any of the high-end watches, they come with generic boxes and not the LE package with the boats, cars, special wooden boxes with storage, etc. Same goes for these brands when you buy them from grey dealers, which have not had decent pricing on these for awhile now. Which tells me, Citizen (or some of their large clients) was probably dumping these to the usual grey suspects before deciding they'd rather sell directly to the end-customer. 'Refurbished' in a generic box seems to be just a way to sell down inventory without getting in trouble with retailer contracts.

P.S.2 I watched an interview with the founder of FC on Youtube--these guys had the worst luck (good for us, I guess). Citizen wanted them to increase production substantially in order to start selling in the North American Citizen distribution network, so they built a new facility that just went online in 2019 to double production. Very unlucky timing for them--but it helps explain some of the what's been going on, at least to me.
Do I dare suggesting..... all the trouble selling them is actually just because they are too big, half of this forum can't wear them even if we wanted to?

I thought about this. But when i realized IWC’s version is 45mm, i jumped for joy for getting a smaller size. Plus 40 more meters of water resistance.[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nikon Z6

Tudor Black Bay Steel
Longines Hydroconquest GMT
Breitling Chronomat
Alpina Alpiner Extreme
Bulova x Complecto Jet Star
Brew Retromatic Copper
Fossil Mickey Mouse
Ernest Borel Athletic
Casio GWB5600AR-1
G-Shock DW5040PG
chefo
MoT Member

Post by chefo »

uaconcorde wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:31 pm

Probably true--both Alpina and FC models are usually 2mm too big. If the perpetual calendar was a 39mm (they can make it that size) as opposed to 42mm, they would have sold quite a few more. If the auto Alpiner was 41-42mm with a 50mm lug-to-lug, same.

In fairness, if I have to choose one watch to pick out of my collection for a dystopian post-apocalyptic world, it's probably my blue Alpiner. Anti-magnetic, screw-down crown, feels built like a tank. My wrist is just big enough to pull it off. None of that fancy dress hardware that I seem to gravitate to as I'm getting older.
swissmade65
MoT Member

Post by swissmade65 »

Bravo!!
skylinegtr_34
MoT Member

Post by skylinegtr_34 »

As members we can start a Kickstarter project "wrist enlarger". Skin color wide seamless leather bracelet with hairs and everthing. Invicta probably put some serious money :)
uvalaw2005
MoT Member

Post by uvalaw2005 »

Amazon has the Casio G-Shock GWM500A-1 for $54.00. Atomic timekeeping and tough solar in a relatively compact size.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0094BKAWO

praetor

Post by praetor »

bingo! 42mm and bigger dress watches make absolutely no sense! particularly in the current market where brands are slowly offering more and more smaller models, and the big hype surrounding vintage.

i mean.. it's like they don't want to make money or something? great designs, very good quality, acceptable prices (great when on discounts :P), but unwearable for a huge part of the population (and not just this forum)
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

I was tipped off that there is another discount code that will bring this Eberhard & Co down to $395 and it works.
Thanks anonymous benefactor!

Sale price is $650
With code DMEB395 is $395
List price is $2,750

TheJohnP wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:54 pm First time I've seen this discount code before, Shopworn has a CEO Pick of the Month with $201 off using code CEOPICK

Sale price is $650
List price is $2,750

Click Icon To Contact Me

PeteB
MoT Member

Post by PeteB »

TheJohnP wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:17 am I was tipped off that there is another discount code that will bring this Eberhard & Co down to $395 and it works.

Sale price is $650
List price is $2,750

TheJohnP wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:54 pm First time I've seen this discount code before, Shopworn has a CEO Pick of the Month with $201 off using code CEOPICK

Sale price is $650
List price is $2,750

That is a damn good price. I paid nearly $ 600 for it just a couple of months ago and thought (at the time) that it was a steal. For some reason, they obviously want to liquidate the Nuvolari.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

PeteB wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:43 am
TheJohnP wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:17 am I was tipped off that there is another discount code that will bring this Eberhard & Co down to $395 and it works.

Sale price is $650
List price is $2,750

That is a damn good price. I paid nearly $ 600 for it just a couple of months ago and thought (at the time) that it was a steal. For some reason, they obviously want to liquidate the Nuvolari.
Any chance you can post a mini review for folks who may be on the edge?
Here's the thread for member reviews - viewforum.php?f=36
Click Icon To Contact Me

Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

MIDO Baroncelli, model M0104081105309
List: $1,330
Sale: $498.73

https://www.nordstromrack.com/s/mido-me ... olor=BLACK

Time Fairfield Chrono, model TW2R97900VQ
List: $149.00
Sale: $52.48

https://www.nordstromrack.com/s/timex-m ... lor=SILVER

BALL Trainmaster Cannonball Chronograph, model CM1052D-S7J-WH
List: $3,899.00
Sale: $1,195.00

https://www.jomashop.com/ball-trainmast ... 7j-wh.html

BALL Trainmaster Cannonball Chronograph, model CM1052D-S3J-BK
List: $3,899.00
Sale: $1,195.00

https://www.jomashop.com/ball-watch-cm1052d-s3j-bk.html

Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Airborne Chronometer, model DM2076C-S1CAJ-BK
List $4,339.00
Sale: $1,495.00

https://www.jomashop.com/ball-watch-dm2076cs1cajbk.html

Tudor Black Bay Pepsi, model 79830RB-0001
List: $4,495.00
Sale: $3,895.00

https://www.jomashop.com/tudor-watch-79830rb-0001.html

AceRimmer
MoT Member

Post by AceRimmer »

I'm curious how old these Eberhard's are. It's very cool looking but I hate to buy a watch that will need servicing right away.

Update:

So I did some Googling... This was released in 2014. It's named after an Italian race car driver. Best of all.... there is a matching table clock :D

I also discovered that the Deep Blue Vintage Arrow looks a lot like a an Eberhard dive watch from the 1960s (the Eberhard Scafograph).

So I guess the question is... how long will an ETA 2824 live before it needs servicing?
Last edited by AceRimmer on Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
BillionaireDoors
MoT Member

Post by BillionaireDoors »

AceRimmer wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:05 am I'm curious how old these Eberhard's are. It's very cool looking but I hate to buy a watch that will need servicing right away.
99% that isn't a real thing. An NOS watch from 10 years ago is fine.

Plus you get a 2-year warranty.