We're Moving!

Click for more info.

Wenger Sea Force 01.0621.102 Mini Review

Watch and watch accessory reviews posted by members.
Bolster
MoT Member

Wenger Sea Force 01.0621.102 Mini Review

Post by Bolster »

I bought this watch when Boston Charlie spotted it as a deal from Amazon at $38, because I thought it might meet my 3 criteria of: thin, ro-bez & good lume. Had good luck with the lume on other Wengers. It’s sold as a woman’s watch, but it’s a cross-dresser; men of normal size can pull it off IMO. It’s a little larger diameter (37mm) than advertised, and a little thinner (10.6mm). However that thinness is deceptive. Because of the straight vertical sides of the watch, I had to measure it several times before my eye would believe my calipers. Looks thick, but is not thick.

[img][/img]

I’d say a wonderful deal at $38 because the build quality is much more than you’d expect at this price. Applied chrome-outlined lumed markers, 120-click ro-bez with a good click feel, blue lume (!) screw-down crown (!), 200M (!), and a non-bouncy second hand that mostly hits the markers. Plus, a date window that’s actually to the edge of the dial, so is pleasingly large for the size of the watch. (Not a fan of tiny date windows inset at 1/2 the diameter!!)

A few detractors, as always: The ad copy brags about a titanium rotating bezel. So what? It’s dime thin (hard to grip, but not complaining as long as it’s a thin watch) and would add the tiniest bit of weight if it were stainless; furthermore titanium is not a material to ward off bezel scratches. So the titanium bezel is a mystery, since the rest of the watch is a solid chunka stainless. Also the ro-bez is coated with what is either thick shiny black paint or a black shiny plastic which IMO cheapens the look of the watch a bit, and will certainly scratch over time. The crown is grooved around the circumference, which may help pulling it out, but does not help rotating it. Unscrewing the crown is a little painful, but shouldn’t be a common occurence, given it’s a quartz. The silicone strap is singularly uncomfortable, which is surprising. It’s the way it’s molded so it goes down into the wrist rather than wrap around the wrist. This would probably work for a smaller wrist (I’m a 7”) and perhaps the strap is what makes it a woman's watch(?), although the strap length is fine for a 7" wrist. Certainly an 18mm canvas strap will remedy this issue.

So far, this would be a keeper for me, depending on what happens with the lume test tonight.
Unrepentant Quartzer
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Re: Wenger Sea Force 01.0621.102 Mini Review

Post by BostonCharlie »

I have always wondered about this model so I'm especially grateful for your review! Looking forward to the lume test results and hopefully some wristshots. The uncomfortable strap is the biggest surprise to me, but hopefully it will be easy to change out.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

I wish that watch were 38mm?
Bolster
MoT Member

Post by Bolster »

Boourns wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:40 pm Throw that sucker on one of these...
Doooude! If I keep the watch, that's EXACTLY what I will get. Thanks for finding that color! Perfect match! I have a Barton silicone on another watch and really, really like it.
BostonCharlie wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:26 pm I have always wondered about this model so I'm especially grateful for your review! Looking forward to the lume test results and hopefully some wristshots. The uncomfortable strap is the biggest surprise to me, but hopefully it will be easy to change out.
On reflection, BC, I might have overstated a bit with "uncomfortable," just not comfortable, because of the way the band is cantilevered down and into the wrist. Or put it this way: While wearing it, I was constantly aware the watch/strap were on my wrist. Whereas, one of my tests of a "good" watch/strap combo, is that it vanishes from awareness in a few minutes. Sure, I'll get you some wrist shots tomorrow when the sun is out. Because Boourns is watching, I'll have to (heavy sigh) find a shirt that coordinates with it...

Any other questions?
Unrepentant Quartzer
ibus
MoT Member

Post by ibus »

Any chance of a wrist shot? [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Bolster wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:59 pm
Doooude! If I keep the watch, that's EXACTLY what I will get. Thanks for finding that color! Perfect match! I have a Barton silicone on another watch and really, really like it.
They're actually on BOGO with code BOGOBARTON19.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
Bolster
MoT Member

Post by Bolster »

Wrist shot and lume shot. By way of review, my lume shots are after a fresh charge by bright LED light, and then again 30 minutes later. The camera is on a tripod, ASA 400, f/2, 1 second exposure. My rule of thumb is: if I can easily read the time in the 30-min photo, I'll probably be able to read the watch all night long. I've started using a Glycine Combat Sub with green lume as my reference because (a) a lot of people own this watch; and (b) the GCS is sort of my "minimum acceptable standard" for lume. I can read it all night long, but just barely; in the wee hours of the morning I have to concentrate on the face to read the time. But I've never read the time wrong on the GCS; thus, acceptable as a reference.

Make your own determination on the Wenger Sea Force's blue lume. It's pretty! It fades back rather quickly (as does the GCS), and the hands are brighter by far than the markers. By my standards, it's marginal lume. At 4am (5 hours after charging) I could still read the time, if I concentrated on reading it, and used the "look away" technique that astronomers use to see dim stars (the center of your vision is the least sensitive to dim light).

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[EDIT] Should add that I am finding the bezel difficult to turn when it's on the wrist. Not only is it quite thin, but the finish on it is slippery. One turns it by pressing down hard.
Unrepentant Quartzer
NTMG
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by NTMG »

I just bought this watch. It is a nice size 36MM.
The band is a bit short. How do you remove the stock band? It looks like it is integrated
With the case.
NTMG
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by NTMG »

7C66BE15-FB3C-44F1-973F-327DEF90F31D.jpeg
MAAHHH THE FRENCH!
MoT Member

Post by MAAHHH THE FRENCH! »

Bolster wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:59 pm Any other questions?
What was Wenger thinking, sending Walcott on that early?
tkn

Post by tkn »

Bolster wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:59 pm
Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but did you end up keeping the watch and did you try the Barton strap on it? I just ordered this watch and am considering pairing it with the Barton strap mentioned.
Bolster
MoT Member

Post by Bolster »

tkn wrote: Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but did you end up keeping the watch and did you try the Barton strap on it? I just ordered this watch and am considering pairing it with the Barton strap mentioned.
Did not keep. Great deal, but didn't fall in love. Fell in love shortly after with Ratio Free Diver. I "Barton" almost all my watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unrepentant Quartzer
tkn

Post by tkn »

Bolster wrote:
tkn wrote: Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but did you end up keeping the watch and did you try the Barton strap on it? I just ordered this watch and am considering pairing it with the Barton strap mentioned.
Did not keep. Great deal, but didn't fall in love. Fell in love shortly after with Ratio Free Diver. I "Barton" almost all my watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine showed up today. I really like it, but I completely agree about the stock strap comfort; even on my girly wrist, the fitted ends cause the strap to curve too early, so the watch raises a little from my wrist and doesn’t stay in place.

It might break in, it certainly seems like nicer material than I’d expected for the price, but I went ahead and ordered a couple of straps for it, so I guess I’ll be able to supply my own pictures. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro