MoT's Watch Deal Forum is the resource for watch and watch accessory deals sourced by enthusiasts like you. Click here to join today, and once logged in you'll be able to take part in great discussion and camaraderie about the hobby you love.

As a reminder, even though MoT's is a free site, we do rely on two methods lights on. One is a referral generator that creates (mostly) unobtrusive links. This depends on the site being whitelisted in any ad-blocking software you use. If you could please whitelist this site, we would be ever thankful. (We promise there are no pop-ups, pop-unders or other annoying distractions.)

The other method is donations from members and visitors. These are completely voluntary and there is no obligation. Any donations go directly towards site operations and are greatly appreciated. Click here to donate today.

Thank you!

What can you tell from how a watch ticks?

This is the place to learn all about watches and how they tick. Share your knowledge and how-tos with the rest of the class.
watchpalooza
Has liked: 4503 times
Been liked: 3088 times

What can you tell from how a watch ticks?

Post by watchpalooza » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:37 pm

Some of my mechanical watches tick with a slight metallic clang, others do not. Some tick loudly, some softly. What do differences in the ticking sounds of mechanical watches tell about what is going on inside? Some can identify issues with a car engine just by listening. Is the same true for watches? Can listening for particular characteristics of a watch’s ticking sounds identify issues or a need for servicing?
These users liked the author watchpalooza for the post:
Split-Time
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Sporkboy
Has liked: 1319 times
Been liked: 2720 times

Re: What can you tell from how a watch ticks?

Post by Sporkboy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:28 pm

Based on the experiences with Timex watch movements, you can tell something about the materials used based on the loudness of the ticking. Brass, plastic, stainless and aluminum will sound differently in loudness. This is inferred and extrapolated from what I have read and is not representative of independent research on my part.
These users liked the author Sporkboy for the post (total 3):
Split-TimewatchpaloozaBbrou33
Split-Time
Has liked: 3390 times
Been liked: 1469 times

Post by Split-Time » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:26 pm

I will be interested to see were this conversation goes. My Timex Deep Space Snoopy ticks so loud that I can hear it across the room at night. The Timex Q is not nearly as loud. As for automatics, I have noticed that my new Glycine Airman No 1 is particularly loud and higher pitched (unscientifically) than any of my other autos (that I have noticed).
Nsjong
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Nsjong » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:32 pm

Majority is based on 2 things: case cavity and material.
If your automatic isn't particularly audible when it's left on a surface on a quiet night, more likely to have a plastic movement holder since it doesn't transduce the vibrations as easily... Or so I would think.
These users liked the author Nsjong for the post:
watchpalooza