Show Off Your New Watch

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Show Off Your New Watch

Post by TheJohnP »

Ball Trainmaster Legend from the My Gift Stop deal came in.

It is a looker, but still on the fence if it's a keeper.
Do like how the dial color changes depending on the lighting.
And the tritium doesn't bother me as much as I thought it might.

Options are:
* Keep it
* Return it
* Sell it on the Bazaar for Second Chance

Thoughts?
Here are some pics:

And this pic is for [mention]Elkins45[/mention]

Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
whoagorgeous
MoT Member

Post by whoagorgeous »

TheJohnP wrote:Ball Trainmaster Legend from the My Gift Stop deal came in.

Options are:
* Keep it
* Return it

Thoughts?
Here are some pics:

I like it. Also the price as well was good.
I would've considered one if I had the funds as it would've been a nice upgrade for my father.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

TheJohnP wrote:Ball Trainmaster Legend from the My Gift Stop deal came in.

Options are:
* Keep it
* Return it

Thoughts?
Here are some pics:

I almost grabbed one just because I was curious to see what the dial was like in person
But ultimately I knew I wouldn't have loved it so it would've been returned or sold.
I suggest, if you have the time, put in on the bazaar for a few days. If no interest the return it

Let's be Instagram friends @bbrou33

Insta me: bbrou33
Elkins45
MoT Member

Post by Elkins45 »

Thanks for the lume pix. I just noticed from that picture that there’s not a tube on the second hand. I think all my Ball watches have a tiny second hand tube.

It’s surprising how much the viewing angle changes the color of the dial.

What’s the lug width? Does it have the butterfly or single fold clasp?
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

The working Soviet Komandirske that I got recently. All cleaned up, I just need to regulate it and it is ready for my neighbor to use a bit (he is underrated in Vostok), and then possibly modification. The other watch that I got in the lot needs some movement work.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Elkins45 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:14 pm Thanks for the lume pix. I just noticed from that picture that there’s not a tube on the second hand. I think all my Ball watches have a tiny second hand tube.

The needle second hand seems to thin to have a tube.
Guess they didn't want to add a lollipop style.

I am fairly certain the lug width is 20mm, but I seem to have misplaced my calipers. I'll get a spare strap and confirm later.

The bracelet is a butterfly, but the rather annoying kind that doesn't have release pushers, rather snaps open and closed.
Click Icon To Contact Me

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

My first of 3 watches destined for entry in [mention]Animal Mother[/mention]’s Leap Year Challenge here. It’s a Sinobi Vortex that tells time without hands using a disc-based system. I like that its 42mm and all aluminum alloy with a blasted powder finish. The blues really pop. Paid $10.99. Time shown is 7:10pm (outer ring is hours, inner for minutes).
66AA1AED-C979-4960-B3CE-EC63E2D27A88.jpeg
3647FA74-025E-494E-9ADA-D3C2C5C59FCD.jpeg
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

watchpalooza wrote:My first of 3 watches destined for entry in [mention]Animal Mother[/mention]’s Leap Year Challenge here. It’s a Sinobi Vortex that tells time without hands using a disc-based system. I like that its 42mm and all aluminum alloy with a blasted powder finish. The blues really pop. Paid $10.99. Time shown is 7:10pm (outer ring is hours, inner for minutes).
Cool, that may be hard to beat though there's a resourceful bunch in that contest. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

PetWatch wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:32 pm
watchpalooza wrote:My first of 3 watches destined for entry in @Animal Mother’s Leap Year Challenge here. It’s a Sinobi Vortex that tells time without hands using a disc-based system. I like that its 42mm and all aluminum alloy with a blasted powder finish. The blues really pop. Paid $10.99. Time shown is 7:10pm (outer ring is hours, inner for minutes).

Cool, that may be hard to beat though there's a resourceful bunch in that contest. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I expect the competition to be steep...no slackers in that lot. But it has been incredibly fun to search for dumpster gems with price set at below $29. Has offered a chance to explore a whole world of watches I had not before seen.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

watchpalooza wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:18 pm My first of 3 watches destined for entry in @Animal Mother’s Leap Year Challenge here. It’s a Sinobi Vortex that tells time without hands using a disc-based system. I like that its 42mm and all aluminum alloy with a blasted powder finish. The blues really pop. Paid $10.99. Time shown is 7:10pm (outer ring is hours, inner for minutes).

Whelp, I've already lost.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Stretch44 wrote:
watchpalooza wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:18 pm My first of 3 watches destined for entry in @Animal Mother’s Leap Year Challenge here. It’s a Sinobi Vortex that tells time without hands using a disc-based system. I like that its 42mm and all aluminum alloy with a blasted powder finish. The blues really pop. Paid $10.99. Time shown is 7:10pm (outer ring is hours, inner for minutes).

You never know how people will vote, so don’t give up hope.
I know it is impossibly difficult, but we should have a moratorium on posting pictures of challenge entry watches to avoid influencing those that are still shopping for their entry.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Sporkboy wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:00 pm
Stretch44 wrote:

I know it is impossibly difficult, but we should have a moratorium on posting pictures of challenge entry watches to avoid influencing those that are still shopping for their entry.
Sorry, did not realize it was a hold until all have purchased approach...but I can do so. Was just planning to post as they come in. Happy to disqualify this one and go with something else.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Elkins45
MoT Member

Post by Elkins45 »

TheJohnP wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:52 pm
Elkins45 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:14 pm Thanks for the lume pix. I just noticed from that picture that there’s not a tube on the second hand. I think all my Ball watches have a tiny second hand tube.

I am fairly certain the lug width is 20mm, but I seem to have misplaced my calipers. I'll get a spare strap and confirm later.

The bracelet is a butterfly, but the rather annoying kind that doesn't have release pushers, rather snaps open and closed.
My Fireman Racer has the same butterfly and I do not love it either. You have to close them in the correct order because the insignia overlaps.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Elkins45 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:39 pm
TheJohnP wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:52 pm

My Fireman Racer has the same butterfly and I do not love it either. You have to close them in the correct order because the insignia overlaps.
This one being more of an "entry" model doesn't have that insignia. Just etched on one side. But I've been eyeing other strap options anyway.

And is 20mm based on another strap I have.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

watchpalooza wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:00 pm
Stretch44 wrote:
Sorry, did not realize it was a hold until all have purchased approach...but I can do so. Was just planning to post as they come in. Happy to disqualify this one and go with something else.
I don’t think that this step is needed. This is all in good fun and it is the first challenge we have done, so it is a learning process for everyone.

Of course, if your intention was to intimidate the competition, then I have two notes:
1. That isn’t in the spirit of the challenge.
2. You really need to step up your game as it wasn’t very intimidating. [emoji6]

That said, I know that this was posted well within the spirit of the challenge so the two comments above are in jest (I have a deadpan style and going through the internet just makes it more difficult to get my jokes sometimes.)

In short, you are good. It looks like it will be a great entry to the contest. From here, the case looks pretty good for such a low cost and unique watch. A quartz movement in an aluminum case must be very light. I know a guy that enjoys watches that are difficult to read the time on and this was one of the watches that I recommended that he looked at.