August 2020 Watch Fast

Create and participate in challenges related to the watch hobby.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Re: August 2020 Watch Fast

Post by Sporkboy »

Thanks to everyone for being supportive of this and going through this journey to wristwatch enlightenment with me. Joining the one watch all month challenge are some watch deal related goals kicked off by TheJohnP who is taking a well deserved break from deal hunting. Some of the deal vacuum is going to be filled by Boourns and Stretch44. Also, I'm not sure if I read the post right, but I think that Watchpalooza is going to try to go a month without changing his underwear...sure, why not.

Below are the challengers as it looks to me. If I have misunderstood anything, let me know. Be sure to declare your watch on this thread and post any challenges, temptations, insights and that sort of thing here.

The challenge starts tomorrow morning or as you go to bed tonight if you sleep with a watch on.

MoT Watch Challengers for August

--Same Watch--
Sporkboy- Seiko SNK793
ManOnTime- Mystery Reveal
Whoagorgeous- CWard C65
Cortman (1-week incremental goals)
Animal Mother- Glycine "The Chief"
ReCapt (Maybe)
Boston Charlie- Pulsar Dive Chrono (can only take off watch for medical emergencies or when required by law to remove it)

--Watch Deal Goals--
TheJohnP- Post no deals (kickstarters and pre-orders are OK)
Boourns- Post 10 deals
Stretch44- Post 10 deals
Rabirnie- Post 10 deals

--Other--
Watchpalooza- Same pair of underwear all month
Last edited by Sporkboy on Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rabirnie
MoT Member

Post by Rabirnie »

Please add me to the list to post 10 goals. Let’s go [mention]Stretch44 [/mention] and [mention]Boourns [/mention] !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whoagorgeous
MoT Member

Post by whoagorgeous »

The watch I've decided on is my cward C65 mainly because it's so thin it slides under my work gloves.

Let's go.
yinzburgher
MoT Member

Post by yinzburgher »

Cool idea Sporkboy but I don't think I can do it lol. But good luck to you and to all. As someone who is often away from my collection for long periods of time, I can say I absolutely love returning to the rest of my watches again. I hate admitting it about inanimate objects (or man jewelry 🙄) but absence definitely makes the heart grow fonder in this case. Also TJP, I appreciate you regularly posting the crowd-funded stuff. I wouldn't know about nearly any of it otherwise. 👍
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

Kicking off this challenge with a midnight snack of spinach, peanut butter toast (with flax seed meal) and a celebratory glass of wine. “Dancing with myself” to new wave tunes, which seems like a reasonable Friday night in these days of coronavirus.

370793F1-AC06-40D1-A393-7051E3B40094.jpeg
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Good luck to the competitors. Will be interesting to see what types of coping mechanisms develop here!
B16A23D5-BF28-4726-808A-C1625120BF64.gif
B16A23D5-BF28-4726-808A-C1625120BF64.gif (120.16 KiB) Viewed 13037 times
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

A0DF9E88-9E99-490C-BFE5-70BC2EBEF7D2.jpeg
OK, starting the month with the SNK793 on the stock bracelet, which isn’t great, but it isn’t as bad as people say. Somehow a whole month with one watch seems a bit overwhelming and very real. Maybe I am a bit tense for other reasons. I am glad We are trying this as a group.

Anyway, here it goes.
recapt
MoT Member

August 2020 Watch Fast

Post by recapt »

Am I too late?

If not I’m in, but with a change of entry. I’ve decided on my titanium JDM Citizen that doesn’t get nearly enough wrist time.

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

recapt wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:22 am Am I too late?

If not I’m in, but with a change of entry. I’ve decided on my titanium JDM Citizen that doesn’t get nearly enough wrist time.

Not late at all. If anyone wants to join in, today is the day to start and I didn’t see the need to confirm with everyone.

Great choice by the way. Those Citizens always look really nice.
tjcdas
MoT Member

QRe: August 2020 Watch Fast

Post by tjcdas »

Sporkboy wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:45 am A0DF9E88-9E99-490C-BFE5-70BC2EBEF7D2.jpegOK, starting the month with the SNK793 on the stock bracelet, which isn’t great, but it isn’t as bad as people say. Somehow a whole month with one watch seems a bit overwhelming and very real. Maybe I am a bit tense for other reasons. I am glad We are trying this as a group.

Anyway, here it goes.
When I got this one I thought the bracelet would go the first day, but I liked the bracelet and it wore well and looked great on the watch.

The next surprise was that the little blue guy ran less than -2 spd out of the box, my most accurate watch without ever needing to be regulated.

The watch also works well with leather and nato straps.
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

I guess I forgot to mention what my watch fast watch is. I'm wearing the Glycine Combat 6. This is a watch that has the potential to be a true GADA/Only Watch You Need type of piece; the only thing I could wish different would be for 100m of water resistance instead of 50, and some AR on the crystal.
I lusted after this watch for a long time and finally had a good opportunity to buy it earlier this year. When it arrived I was strangely deflated; while I certainly liked it, it didn't thrill me like I thought it would. So I figured this would be a good opportunity to give this watch a thorough tryout, and see how it does. At the end I think I'll know better whether it's a true keeper or not.
Starting off this morning on a gray Ute Watch Co. (formerly Toxic Natos) NATO strap, converted to single pass.

recapt
MoT Member

Post by recapt »

Well this sure got dicey quickly... I need to finish organizing the basement workshop today which is usually a job for my G-Shock 5610. I’m not super excited to be banging around all these tools and things with this watch, especially on the bracelet. It will be interesting to see how beat up this thing is by the end of the challenge. [emoji15]

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

recapt wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:38 am Well this sure got dicey quickly... I need to finish organizing the basement workshop today which is usually a job for my G-Shock 5610. I’m not super excited to be banging around all these tools and things with this watch, especially on the bracelet. It will be interesting to see how beat up this thing is by the end of the challenge. [emoji15]

Not sure if it will work with this watch, but maybe wearing it on the inside of your wrist might help.
whoagorgeous
MoT Member

Post by whoagorgeous »

TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

I was driving all day yesterday to take my wife to visit family. So wasn't able to post any deals. Guess I started my challenge a day early!
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find