August 2020 Watch Fast

Create and participate in challenges related to the watch hobby.
Stretch44
MoT Member

Re: August 2020 Watch Fast

Post by Stretch44 »

I'd love to try this, but I do not think it's possible. I'd get maybe a week in and drop out. I admire those that can do it!
whoagorgeous
MoT Member

Post by whoagorgeous »

I wear the same watch during my work week and immediately swap it out on my limited day(s) off. This could be rather challenging because I look forward to my days off lol.

Regardless, I'll play ball.
cortman
MoT Member

Post by cortman »

Tell you what, I'll start with you [mention]Sporkboy[/mention] , and see how far I get, with 1-week goal increments. Now I have to choose which watch. :)
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

cortman wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:37 pm Tell you what, I'll start with you @Sporkboy , and see how far I get, with 1-week goal increments. Now I have to choose which watch. :)
That sounds good to me. Any company on this is welcome. For some a 1 day watch fast seems like a lot, so setting personal goals makes sense.

I am pretty sure one person has completed a 1-year watch fast, but I don’t recall the details. That seems nuts to me.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

watchpalooza wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:02 pm Would rather take a bullet...
I'm with Number One ([mention]ManOnTime[/mention] is Picard and [mention]TheJohnP[/mention] is Data) on this one. And I really only have 4 watches right now. But I'll be with you guys in spirit.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

Boourns wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:03 pm
watchpalooza wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:02 pm Would rather take a bullet...
I'm with Number One (@ManOnTime is Picard and @TheJohnP is Data) on this one. And I really only have 4 watches right now. But I'll be with you guys in spirit.
I actually take that as a great compliment.
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

If my Tudor comes back from repair by the 1st Aug then I'm in! I miss it so much, it's been in forced lockdown in the Tudor factory as I sent it for warranty work just before COVID hit.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

This is a good challenge. I proposed and did this challenge 2-3 years ago in WPAC. It is a very difficult challenge for anyone used to quick watch rotations. I don't believe anyone else finished it beside myself. Great way to get to know a watch more in depth, as well yourself in regards to your feelings about wearing habits and hobby. I normally wear a watch for a week or so, and sometimes years later still discover something new about a watch, and how mood and situations affect perception.

Not interested in doing at this time but would recommend to everyone. If you are enjoying the watch on your wrist, why switch, let it ride... I have worn a watch for years in the past just fine. Being active in this hobby for many of us means purchases and several to many watches, which really forces almost everyone to constantly rotate.

I have done this more than once, but I have done it with a watch that l had on, liked it enough to keep it on. I think this makes it easier than trying to do it with just any watch.

Another suggestion, erase the “watch fast” idea from your mind. Nobody likes to be in a state of hunger, which is a desire for something else, much less for an unusually long period of time. This is a negative mindset from the start. A set up for failure. Look at it from a positive perspective to help you achieve the goal, you are going on an exciting journey of discovery about a watch and yourself. The knowledge you'll gain. The fun you will have when you discover you like it enough to keep on the wrist longer than you expected (whether you complete the month or not). When you find that yes, you enjoy what's on your wrist as much as anything else you can put on it. That it's not only possible but advantageous in some respects to enjoy one watch for a long(er) time on your wrist.
Last edited by PetWatch on Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PetWatch
MoT Member

Post by PetWatch »

Error post.

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

PetWatch wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:51 pm This is a good challenge. I proposed and did this challenge 2-3 years ago in WPAC. It is a very difficult challenge for anyone used to quick watch rotations. I don't believe anyone else finished it beside myself. Great way to get to know a watch more in depth, as well yourself in regards to your feelings about wearing habits and hobby. I normally wear a watch for a week or so, and sometimes years later still discover something new about a watch, and how mood and situations affect perception.

Not interested in doing at this time but would recommend to everyone. If you are enjoying the watch on your wrist, why switch, let it ride... I have worn a watch for years in the past just fine. Being active in this hobby for many of us means purchases and several to many watches, which really forces almost everyone to constantly rotate.

I have done this more than once, but I have done it with a watch that l had on, liked it enough to keep it on. I think this makes it easier than trying to do it with just any watch.

Another suggestion, erase the “watch fast” idea from your mind. Nobody likes to be in a state of hunger, which is a desire for something else, much less for an unusually long period of time. This is a negative mindset from the start. A set up for failure. Look at it from a positive perspective to help you achieve the goal, you are going on an exciting journey of discovery about a watch and yourself. The knowledge you'll gain. The fun you will have when you discover you like it enough to keep on the wrist longer than you expected (whether you complete the month or not). When you find that yes, you enjoy what's on your wrist as much as anything else you can put on it. That it's not only possible but advantageous in some respects to enjoy one watch for a long(er) time on your wrist.
Thank you for your insights. Now that you mention it, the term ‘fast’ does have negative connotations, though there are fasts for religious purposes that are supposed to give you a greater appreciation for something, insight or revelation. I am not a religious person, so I can only assume that is the case, please correct me if I am mistaken here.

I suppose that this is more of a ‘wristwatch introspective retreat and reflection time’. If anyone has a more positive and hopefully snappy term for what I am attempting then please chime in.
recapt
MoT Member

Post by recapt »

I’m really considering this. I even know what watch I’d go with. It’s this vintage piece that never gets any wrist time even though I’m quite fond of it. Part of the reason is that I haven’t found a strap I like it on. Right now I’ve crammed a 20mm strap between its 19mm lugs, which isn’t doing it any favors. This fast would definitely get me off my butt to buy a proper 19mm strap for it and give it a fair shake.

One nice thing about wearing it for a month is that the lack of a quick set date won’t be an issue.

I’m also expecting a Kickstarter watch to arrive in August so I’ll probably tap out regardless once that arrives.

So, I’m a definite maybe at this point :)

Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

recapt wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:18 pm I’m really considering this. I even know what watch I’d go with. It’s this vintage piece that never gets any wrist time even though I’m quite fond of it. Part of the reason is that I haven’t found a strap I like it on. Right now I’ve crammed a 20mm strap between its 19mm lugs, which isn’t doing it any favors. This fast would definitely get me off my butt to buy a proper 19mm strap for it and give it a fair shake.

One nice thing about wearing it for a month is that the lack of a quick set date won’t be an issue.

I’m also expecting a Kickstarter watch to arrive in August so I’ll probably tap out regardless once that arrives.

So, I’m a definite maybe at this point :)

I tried on me neighbors skin diver for a few days and I was smitten. It definitely benefits from a good strap. 19mm is tough when you are rocking a lot of 18 and 20mm straps. I found that seatbelt material squeezes together fairly well, but it really depends on the strap. I have a 20mm CNS Seal strap on a watch with 19mm lugs and I think it looks pretty good.

Good to have you aboard Recapt! Even if it is until a kickstarter delivery. You never know, Kickstarter projects have been know to occasionally have delays in deliveries.
BostonCharlie
MoT Member

Post by BostonCharlie »

This challenge appeals to me because I started out looking for *the* watch that I would wear *all* the time. I haven't found it -- at least in my price range. But this challenge revived my old ambition. What I am planning to do is wear one watch all day every day during the challenge. Anyhow, that's my idea -- I've started a dry run today. :-)

35BA0BB8-0F38-477C-A159-5CA55E474DE4.jpeg

The Seiko 7T62 movement has the features I use most. This Pulsar is a good, small package with adequate appeal. I put it on a Casio bracelet that happened to fit. I won’t cry if it gets messed up working at the rental, which was a consideration. I wish this watch had better lume.
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

BostonCharlie wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:23 pm This challenge appeals to me because I started out looking for *the* watch that I would wear *all* the time. I haven't found it -- at least in my price range. But this challenge revived my old ambition. What I am planning to do is wear one watch all day every day during the challenge. Anyhow, that's my idea -- I've started a dry run today. :-)

35BA0BB8-0F38-477C-A159-5CA55E474DE4.jpeg

The Seiko 7T62 movement has the features I use most. This Pulsar is a good, small package with adequate appeal. I put it on a Casio bracelet that happened to fit. I won’t cry if it gets messed up working at the rental, which was a consideration. I wish this watch had better lume.
Glad to have you aboard for the ride BC!

That watch has a lot going for it. Nice looking tachy chrono with an alarm and a timing bezel. I can see why you like it. I have had only a few sub $100 quartz chronos and the lume has not been impressive. I think that there is so much going on with the dial that lume is not usually a priority as the sub dials are going to obstruct some of the lume spots anyway.

Still, I don’t recall too many chronos with a timing bezel.
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Nope nope nope! But I appreciate those of you going for it, and will be following along. Good luck bros!

I have switched to traveling with just one watch instead of my 3 watch travel case after I thought I lost the case one time. So I have gone a week plus with the same watch. And its always the same watch, so I don't need and confirmation on my love of this one. I think a week with a less beloved watch, such as you are doing is a great idea to really see if you can connect with it.

Good luck boys!!! And pick the right watch!!!

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk