August 2020 Watch Fast

Create and participate in challenges related to the watch hobby.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: August 2020 Watch Fast

Post by TheJohnP »

I've been thinking about this challenge and thought of a way I could participate.

I'm planning on taking a watch deal fast for August. So I'm going to try and not post a single deal in the heads up thread for the entire month.

I will still post about Kickstarters and pre-orders, as I don't feel those really count.

Feel I could use a bit of a break.
So I'm in for my version of the fast.
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I just heard that my Seiko Speedtimer is on the way back to me after having been serviced and getting a new crystal installed. Should be here in early August. :)
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

TheJohnP wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:30 am I've been thinking about this challenge and thought of a way I could participate.

I'm planning on taking a watch deal fast for August. So I'm going to try and not post a single deal in the heads up thread for the entire month.

I will still post about Kickstarters and pre-orders, as I don't feel those really count.

Shocked that you will be joining us in this ‘break from the normal watch routine to allow us to refocus’. Not shocked to learn that you need a break after crushing it for so many consecutive months. Welcome to the ‘experience’??? Still not sure what to call this, but happy to have you along.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

TheJohnP wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:30 am I've been thinking about this challenge and thought of a way I could participate.

This is a well-deserved break, and no surprise you need to recharge your deal-finding energy after killing it month after month I will try to help out, and hope others here will as well to keep the deals coming.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr
Rainshadow
MoT Member

Post by Rainshadow »

Cant do. It's my birthday in august 8-)
“You may be ruled by dogma without realizing it. Do not let it confront the truth of your vision quest.”

- New-Age **** Generator
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Rainshadow wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:18 pm Cant do. It's my birthday in august 8-)
If this challenge goes well and people like it then it may happen again.
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

I will commit to posting at least 10 deals in August. I can't replace your numbers, but if enough of us try, maybe 5 or 6 of us can.
I wish that watch were 38mm?
Stretch44
MoT Member

Post by Stretch44 »

Boourns wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:35 pm

I will commit to posting at least 10 deals in August. I can't replace your numbers, but if enough of us try, maybe 5 or 6 of us can.
This'll be my challenge with you.
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

I got some good news about my Tudorr today so it looks likely that I'll be taking part.

Just for clarification, can I buy any watches in the month?
tjcdas
MoT Member

Post by tjcdas »

Sporkboy wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:02 am I just heard that my Seiko Speedtimer is on the way back to me after having been serviced and getting a new crystal installed. Should be here in early August. :)
And will be on the wrist Sept. 1st. :lol:
Boourns
MoT Member

Post by Boourns »

Animal Mother wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:02 pm I got some good news about my Tudorr today...
I wish that watch were 38mm?
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Animal Mother wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:02 pm I got some good news about my Tudorr today so it looks likely that I'll be taking part.

Just for clarification, can I buy any watches in the month?
You sure can. Of course, if someone wants to take a 1-month break from watch purchasing then they are certainly welcome to use this challenge to do so.
Animal Mother
MoT Member

Post by Animal Mother »

Change of plan. I'm still taking part, but I've been inspired by others here to wear a watch from the collection that doesn't get enough love. Rather than my Tudor I'll be wearing my Glycine "The Chief", probably with a grey MN strap, as per this pic of mine. This watch has been getting 0 love from me recently (for the past few months) as this was my work watch and I've not been in the office for months.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

Animal Mother wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:51 am Change of plan. I'm still taking part, but I've been inspired by others here to wear a watch from the collection that doesn't get enough love. Rather than my Tudor I'll be wearing my Glycine "The Chief", probably with a grey MN strap, as per this pic of mine. This watch has been getting 0 love from me recently (for the past few months) as this was my work watch and I've not been in the office for months.
That watch needs some love! I am glad that you are going to reconcile with it ;) .

I have been thinking about this idea of [mention]Sporkboy[/mention] 's. I would venture to guess that 95-99% of people who wear a watch wear the same all of the time (not counting fitness trackers in the mix). I know that was the norm for me before I found watches as a hobby. The fact that most of us (myself included) feel like we can't, don't want to, or "would rather take a bullet :lol: " is funny in a way.

Somewhere there is a forum where people are having the same discussion about dress shoes, belts or wallets.
watchpalooza
Global Moderator

Post by watchpalooza »

Split-Time wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:18 am
Animal Mother wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:51 am Change of plan. I'm still taking part, but I've been inspired by others here to wear a watch from the collection that doesn't get enough love. Rather than my Tudor I'll be wearing my Glycine "The Chief", probably with a grey MN strap, as per this pic of mine. This watch has been getting 0 love from me recently (for the past few months) as this was my work watch and I've not been in the office for months.
That watch needs some love! I am glad that you are going to reconcile with it ;) .

I have been thinking about this idea of @Sporkboy 's. I would venture to guess that 95-99% of people who wear a watch wear the same all of the time (not counting fitness trackers in the mix). I know that was the norm for me before I found watches as a hobby. The fact that most of us (myself included) feel like we can't, don't want to, or "would rather take a bullet :lol: " is funny in a way.

Somewhere there is a forum where people are having the same discussion about dress shoes, belts or wallets.
Definitely true. Somewhere on the underwear deals forum there is a challenge to wear the same pair for a full month.
Click Icon To Contact Me

’There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.’ - Leonard Cohen, Anthem
’One man's faith is another man's delusion.’ - Anthony Storr