Official Watch Deals (OWD) can suck it!

Talk about your experience, good and bad, here.
dumberdrummer
MoT Member

Official Watch Deals (OWD) can suck it!

Post by dumberdrummer »

Yes, I know they're a forum favorite, and yes, they have some good prices/discounts; however, when it comes to aftersales service, well...don't count on any. I purchased an Alpina from them earlier last year, which has recently developed an issue with either the crown, threads and/or stem (upon doing some research, it appears this is not uncommon with Alpina, which was unbeknownst to me prior). Long story short, despite OWD claiming a 2 year warranty (that, as you can see in the screenshot, mentions NOTHING about crown or stem exclusions), they are REFUSING to honor their warranty (hell, they won't even look at it!). Below is an excerpt from my exchanges with them via eBay messages. Net-net....purchase with caution, knowing that they might not honor their supposed warranty. (and before anyone else says it....Yes, I know that in my frustration, I became very "Karen-esque")...........

me:

I have, give or take, 40 some odd other automatic watches, none of which I've ever encountered this issue with. Regardless, it would appear you're making up warranty coverage policy as you see fit. I'm not an attorney, but in my profession, I do have a general understanding of the Magnusson Moss Act. Thank you for your responses.

officialwatchdeals

The crown stripping down is not covered. It is likely due to use or to even incorrect winding process, or maybe the machine you used to wind the watch. Either way it is not covered. I apologize for any inconvenience.

me:

Thank you for providing that (I've actually since found my printed copy that was provided with the watch); however, I see nowhere under the exclusions that the crown and/or stem are not covered (and I think we both know that winding the watch is NOT "normal or excessive wear and tear"; if that were the case, then the entire movement wouldn't be covered). I don't believe what I'm asking is unreasonable, nor am I looking for a return or a replacement; I'm merely looking to have a repair performed, and covered, under Official Watch Deal's printed warranty.

officialwatchdeals

Please see the attached.

me:

Seeing as this should be clearly disclosed within your eBay store, or within the original listing (yet I cannot locate it), kindly provide me with a copy of your "valid 2-year warranty, from our own company", that specifically documents covered and excluded items.

Respectfully,

officialwatchdeals

My apologies this would not be covered under warranty. It may be the threads in the screws. In that case you can take this to a local jeweler for repair.

me:

Appreciate you getting back to me. The order number was actually in the email you just replied to, but here it is again: xxxx.

Thank you,

officialwatchdeals

Hi ! I am so sorry we are having some technical trouble with that account. What is your order number?

Me:

Regarding Order number: xxxxx, I have sent several email already to <a><a><a><a><a><a><a>officialbulova@vlcdistribution.com<;</a>;</a>;</a>;</a>;</a>;</a>;/a>, without any reply, inquiring how to initiate a claim under your stated 2 year warranty, for a defective, stripped crown on this watch. Kindly respond with instructions on how to proceed. Respectfully, .
Attachments
20240124_160900.jpg
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Re: Official Watch Deals (OWD) can suck it!

Post by TheJohnP »

That really sucks. Have you tried contacting Alpina directly?
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
dumberdrummer
MoT Member

Post by dumberdrummer »

TheJohnP wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:59 pm That really sucks. Have you tried contacting Alpina directly?
Hadn’t thought about that, but certainly worth a shot…appreciate the suggestion!
dumberdrummer
MoT Member

Post by dumberdrummer »

Latest update from OWD:

"New message from: officialwatchdeals (58,786PURPLE_SHOOTING_STAR Star)
The crown stripping would fall under the category of cosmetic damage. It is clearly outlined in our warranty that cosmetic damage is not covered. I am sorry but we cannot do anything for this unit"

So, a crown, which is imperative to proper functioning of an automatic watch, as well as the stated 100 meters of water resistance, is now a "cosmetic" item?

I have since contacted Alpina direct to see if they'll be willing to step up (but understandable if they won't); just waiting to hear back....