- Posts: 1053
- Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:29 pm
- Location: Atlanta
- Has liked: 1930 times
- Been liked: 1076 times
I imagine this will have some fans out there.
The Vltimatvm Watches Abyysmaster 500 bronze diver from Spain just launched on Kickstarter
First 25 watches in each of the three colorways are priced around $379
Regular price will be about $675
Again, three colorways for this watch:
Here are the specs:
ALL OFFERS INCLUDE:
-Abyysmaster 500 bronze Sellita SW200-1 automatic
-Genuine leather strap
-Tool for straps
- Posts: 30
- Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:52 pm
- Location: Austin, TX
- Has liked: 0
- Been liked: 32 times
They were clearly trying to evoke Latin, Roman, and Greek with their branding. But they got the etymology wrong in all three languages.
- "Ultimatum" is an English word derived from Latin "Ultimatus," "Ultimus." So if they were going for "Latin" by slapping some V characters in there, they missed.
- The letter "U" is a recent invention, as the character "V" historically represented both the vowel "U" and the consonant "V" sound. This is found throughout early Latin-influenced languages, but is familiarly most common in Roman inscriptions. But they wouldn't have used "Vltimatvm," either.
- Greek often uses double Gamma "γγ" as the "ng" sound in English. But "Abyss" in Greek is not Abyys, it's ávyssos.
//EDIT: Marketing is my dayjob. **** like this kills the Thrax.