LWDS (The Legion of Watch Deal Seekers)

Discussion area for watches, clocks and all other timekeepers.
Split-Time
MoT Member

Re: BOBH (The Brotherhood of Bargain Hunters)

Post by Split-Time »

For Vintage Vednesday I present my only vintage watch, which belonged to my grandfather. My grandfather passed away when I was young. I found this watch while cleaning out my mothers house after she passed. I didn't think much of it at the time and didn't know what it was. I later noticed a very faint inscription on the caseback. I was given to my grandfather upon his retirement in 1976, Blue was his favorite color. Judging by the few pictures I have of him between 1976 and his passing, he wore it a lot.

I think it is hideous :lol: but I have to love it at the same time.
IMG_6683.jpg
IMG_6684.jpg
scan 130.JPG
MoT
Site Admin

Post by MoT »

A wonderful memento to have, and a nice touch with the vintage TV listings (and of course the Coneheads!).

Here is my VV watch, a Pronto from the late 60s/early 70s.
IMG_20190626_113139.jpg
IMG_20190626_113139.jpg (127.77 KiB) Viewed 12222 times
Join us on Discord and interact live with your fellow members (click the icon):

Want to ensure your favorite watch site can keep the lights on? Click here: https://www.patreon.com/motswdf

Your friend in time,
Matt - MoT

Click Icon To Contact Me:

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." - Ray Bradbury
"Remember no man is a failure who has friends." - Clarence Odbody
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

Legion does sound good.

I propose a modification to W/Vendesday. How about Vintage or Vostok? Those are generally popular, accessible and there are lots of mod options (Monday). Just a thought.

Oddly enough the only day I will have a problem with is the Seiko day as I only have one working specimen and it is a dress watch. I guess that’s what the wild card watches are for.

Today I am wearing my Inherited watch from my Father-in-law. 1960 Oyster Perpetual. The absolute worst way to add a Rolex to your collection. I don’t recommend it. This watch actually started me down the WIS road as I wasn’t used to wearing watches. I got another watch to get into the habit so that I would be comfortable wearing this on special occasions. Anyway, here I am.
TheJohnP
Global Moderator

Post by TheJohnP »

Sporkboy wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:08 pm
I guess that’s what the wild card watches are for.

Wild Card Wednesday?!?
Click Icon To Contact Me

Far and wide I will find 'em and I ride 'em
Bricks and mortar get my licks just for kicks
AD or authorized I don't analyze
Retail, wholesale never fail
Online or offline, I find I don't redefine
Too big to fail or yard sale they all hale
Run or hide just for fun deals I find
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Split-Time wrote:For Vintage Vednesday I present my only vintage watch, which belonged to my grandfather. My grandfather passed away when I was young. I found this watch while cleaning out my mothers house after she passed. I didn't think much of it at the time and didn't know what it was. I later noticed a very faint inscription on the caseback. I was given to my grandfather upon his retirement in 1976, Blue was his favorite color. Judging by the few pictures I have of him between 1976 and his passing, he wore it a lot.

I think it is hideous [emoji38] but I have to love it at the same time.
IMG_6683.jpg
IMG_6684.jpg
scan 130.JPG
My how tastes differ. I personally think that watch looks awesome!!!

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Sporkboy wrote:Legion does sound good.

I propose a modification to W/Vendesday. How about Vintage or Vostok? Those are generally popular, accessible and there are lots of mod options (Monday). Just a thought.

Oddly enough the only day I will have a problem with is the Seiko day as I only have one working specimen and it is a dress watch. I guess that’s what the wild card watches are for.

Today I am wearing my Inherited watch from my Father-in-law. 1960 Oyster Perpetual. The absolute worst way to add a Rolex to your collection. I don’t recommend it. This watch actually started me down the WIS road as I wasn’t used to wearing watches. I got another watch to get into the habit so that I would be comfortable wearing this on special occasions. Anyway, here I am.
Great suggestion and watch! For the time being, we now celebrate Vintage Vednesday/Vostok Vednesday. That will surely bring out the Vostoks I have that live in hibernation. Some of them may even be vintage(if we go by the 20 year old rule).

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

TheJohnP wrote:
Sporkboy wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:08 pm
I guess that’s what the wild card watches are for.

Wild Card Wednesday?!?
I like this idea, and may make it so down the road. For now, I have added Vostok Vednesday to Vintage Vednesday. And hey, Vostoks are pretty much always wild cards!

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Now that Vostok Vednesday is a thing, I am compliant. And just in case, I threw a beverage in for good measure. It's been a while since I took Laika out for a walk, and it feels pretty good. Love the red text on the date wheel.

ImageImageImage

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Re: TLBH (The Legion of Bargain Hunters)

Post by Dub Rubb »

Group name changed temporarily. Waiting for a few more good ones to come in prior to setting up a poll. Nothing permanent yet.

Sporkboy
MoT Member

TLBH (The Legion of Bargain Hunters)

Post by Sporkboy »

Dub Rubb wrote:Group name changed temporarily. Waiting for a few more good ones to come in prior to setting up a poll. Nothing permanent yet.

The only problem with The Legion of Bargain Hunters is that it isn’t watch specific and could be anybody. The word Legion is good though.

-Legion of Watch Bargain Hunters
-Legion of Watch Deal Hunters
-Legion of Watch Deal Seekers
-Watch Deal Seekers Collective

It has been hashed out on WUS about Deal vs. Bargain. The consensus was that a bargain is core value for a given watch vs. the average street price. For example, the Casio marlin MDV106-1A dive watch is considered a bargain by many.

If it invokes a response of ‘how can they offer these specs for that price?’, then it would be a bargain.

A watch that is temporarily available for a price below the average street price is a deal. That is what we are after on this forum, so the term deal is possibly more appropriate. Of course, I will participate regardless of the name involved.

Edit: League?
I think I need to break out the thesaurus...
Sporkboy
MoT Member

Post by Sporkboy »

I had to dig deep to get this one out. My only double crown watch. Timex reef Gear Alarm. A watch not without design problems, it is still a pretty cool watch. I really need to put on a different seconds hand.Image
Split-Time
MoT Member

Post by Split-Time »

I do not have a watch with two crowns, so I have to play NATO Thursday. My wife gave this watch to me for my birthday last year when TJ Maxx had them pretty cheap. It is a neat watch but too large for me. The bracelet was nice but a really challenge to take off the wrist sometimes. It originally went on a nato because of that fact. I know my strap is a mm or so too narrow. Don't judge 8-) .
IMG_6692.jpg

I did find I use for it since it is supposed to be so tough (not today's picture, however).
IMG_4945.jpg
Bbrou33
MoT Member

Post by Bbrou33 »

Love this Dub. And love you too. I like the current name but also vote for Legion of Watch Deal Seekers. LWDS!

Since this is already on my wrist and I'm just finding out about this thread, I happen to be compliant with NATO Thursday!

ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Insta me: bbrou33
Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Sporkboy wrote:
Dub Rubb wrote:Group name changed temporarily. Waiting for a few more good ones to come in prior to setting up a poll. Nothing permanent yet.

The only problem with The Legion of Bargain Hunters is that it isn’t watch specific and could be anybody. The word Legion is good though.

-Legion of Watch Bargain Hunters
-Legion of Watch Deal Hunters
-Legion of Watch Deal Seekers
-Watch Deal Seekers Collective

It has been hashed out on WUS about Deal vs. Bargain. The consensus was that a bargain is core value for a given watch vs. the average street price. For example, the Casio marlin MDV106-1A dive watch is considered a bargain by many.

If it invokes a response of ‘how can they offer these specs for that price?’, then it would be a bargain.

A watch that is temporarily available for a price below the average street price is a deal. That is what we are after on this forum, so the term deal is possibly more appropriate. Of course, I will participate regardless of the name involved.

Edit: League?
I think I need to break out the thesaurus...
I like these suggestions and even used one of them! I like the LWDS acronym the best out of the lot, so here we are. The Legion of Watch Deal Seekers or LWDS for short (for now at least).

Dub Rubb
MoT Member

Post by Dub Rubb »

Sporkboy wrote:I had to dig deep to get this one out. My only double crown watch. Timex reef Gear Alarm. A watch not without design problems, it is still a pretty cool watch. I really need to put on a different seconds hand.Image
Perfect! The fact that you dig deep to find a compliant watch epitomizes my idea of this thread! Well done.